Registration for this date is now closed. Check our Workshops page for future offerings.
What is Bringing Baby Home?
Bringing Baby Home is an educational program for pregnant couples and families with children up to three years of age. It was designed and created by relationship experts, Drs. John and Julie Gottman, at the Relationship Institute in Seattle, Washington. The goal of the program is to improve the quality of life for babies and children by strengthening the parental relationship.
Why is attending a program like this important?:
Marital Satisfaction Through the Family Life Cycle
A large body of research supports what most people already know. When couples become parents, there is a significant decrease in their relationship satisfaction. The discord and conflict that results has not only been shown to have profound negative physical, mental, and emotional effects on the parents, but on their infants and toddlers as well. By supporting couples as they become parents, everyone benefits.
Research has shown that couples who have participated in the Program experience:
- A significantly lower rate of postpartum mood disorders and depression
- A decrease in relationship hostility
- A higher level of relationship satisfaction
- A decreased likelihood of divorce
Who should attend?
Although the Bringing Baby Home is designed for new and expectant parents, all couples can benefit from the skills the Program provides. Topics include:
- Understanding the transition to parenthood
- Improving relational communication
- Dealing effectively with conflict
- Increasing friendship within your relationship
- Effective co-parenting
- Recognizing the psychological and emotional needs of your child and partner
- Keeping dads involved in infant care and parenting
- Understanding baby blues, postpartum depression
- Relationship red flags
- Sex/Intimacy/Affection during and after pregnancy
- Creating shared meaning and values
How much does the Program cost?
The early registration cost for the Program is $350/couple. This includes the Bringing Baby Home participant guides and supplementary materials. A light breakfast, snacks, and refreshments will also be provided to participants on both days.
Follow us on Facebook for updates on future workshop dates!